Bakaiku is a municipality of 340 inhabitants, situated in the geographical area called Mountain of Navarra.
Bakaiku is located in the foothills of the Sierra de Urbasa , surrounded by green meadows and dense forests of oak and beech , on northwest of Navarra , in the region of the Barranca ,the Sakana Valley, 44 km from the capital, Pamplona.
As the valley , the town is located in a natural and strategic corridor between Alava , Navarra and Gipuzcoa. This privileged location gives you an easy and quick access to Pamplona , Vitoria, San Sebastian , Bilbao and Bayonne or even Biarritz.
IN THE VILLAGE YOU CAN VISIT:
- Parochial church of San Juan Bautista : It is a baroque building of the XVIth century, but it’s fundations are from the early Middle Ages , as there are inscriptions of 1216.
- Hermitage of Santiago : Located in the center of the village.
- Hermitage of San Benito : It’s located in the bottom of the Barga and is believed to be the only remnant left of a possible settlement that like so many ones in the valley of Burunda, those that disappeared as a result of the Black Plague in 1348 . In its interior mural paintings are conserved. On March 21st, is performed its pilgrimage.
- Hermitage of Santa Marina : Located in the top of Urbasa mountains as privileged viewpoint of Burunda Valley.
- Remains of an old forge built in the mid XIXth century.
- Two traditional sinks that have been preserved in perfect condition.